Hi,
     We are having a strange problem with special characters in DSpace 1.5.1.
What happens is that we import a record that has special characters in say, the
abstract, into DSpace via ItemImport.  After it’s imported, when we display the
Item short-listing, the escape characters do not translate into the proper
special characters.  For instance, here is a snippet of an abstract from the
short-listing:

This method yielded dust Sa ratios of 39.8 ± 1.4 sr and 51.8 ±
3.6 sr at 532 nm and 1064 nm, respectively.

I can go back and forth from the short to long-listing pages and nothing
changes….until I sign onto DSpace as Administrator, click “Edit” and go to the
Edit Item screen and click “Update”.  Now when I look at the abstract on both
the short and long-listings, the escape characters have successfully been
translated to their equivalent escape sequences, like so:

This method yielded dust Sa ratios of 39.8 ± 1.4 sr and 51.8 ± 3.6 sr at 532 nm
and 1064 nm, respectively.

Does anyone have any thoughts on this?  Is it possible either a Postgres or Web
server setting is causing this?  As far as I know, we have all our settings set
to ‘UTF8’.

Thanks,
Sue

Sue Walker-Thornton
Software Developer/Database Administrator
NASA Langley Research Center|LITES Contract
SGT, Inc.|130 Research Drive
Hampton, Va.  23666
Office: (757) 224-4074
Mobile: (757) 506-9903