Dave and Pete,

In addition to the default handle identifier, you can use an alternate
metadata field as the unique identifier for your updates by using the -i flag.
From the docs:

|-i|or|--itemidentifier| Specifies an alternate metadata field (not a handle) used to hold an identifier used to match the DSpace item with that in the archive. If omitted, the item handle is expected to be located in the|dc.identifier.uri|field. (Optional)

No other metadata field is required in the dublin_core.xml file if you are just
doing bitstreams.
The documentation seems to have been reduced from the original.

--Bill

Hi David,

Had to do this myself recently - used the following in dublin_core.xml:

<dublin_core schema="dc">
  <dcvalue element="identifier"
qualifier="uri">http://example.org/handle/123456789/32</dcvalue>
</dublin_core>