POI is Apache's project to build a Java library that can interact with
Office Documents.

A version of POI, frozen in time from several releases ago, might be in
DSpace. The older version will support .doc media-filtering, however, if you
want some support for .docx, then you need to upgrade the version for POI in
your pom. Then you'd have to test .docx support. And possibly configure it
to also perform its media filtering on .docx.

I found a relevant thread with some info.
http://dspace.2283337.n4.nabble.com/Dspace-tech-DSpace-Maven-help-request-update-dependency-version-td3287716.html

Peter Dietz