On Mon, Sep 12, 2011 at 08:52:16AM +0200, Sean Carte wrote:
> I do appreciate the value of having Google index our sites, but my
> concern is that it seems to be doing it repeatedly. This particular
> repository has only 551 items; to generate the traffic for which
> GoogleBot seems responsible, it would have to be repeatedly
> downloading every item rather than just grabbing the new items. Is
> this normal?

Someone once pointed a misconfigured Google Appliance at one of our
repositories and was burning the machine down with continuous full-speed
spidering.  The *second* time this happened, I added a firewall rule
to make that host disappear, and all was well.  Google itself, and all
well-configured Appliances, are still welcome and appreciated.

--
Mark H. Wood, Lead System Programmer   mw...@iupui.edu
Asking whether markets are efficient is like asking whether people are smart.