I need some advice on the best (easiest, preferred) lightweight method for
exporting crosswalked metadata and bitstreams. I've read the crosswalk
configuration docs at
http://www.dspace.org/1_7_1Documentation/Configuration.html#Configuration-CrosswalkandPackagerPluginSettings
 and the sysadmin packager docs at
http://www.dspace.org/1_7_1Documentation/System%20Administration.html#SystemAdministration-PackageImporterandExporter
 as well as some of the plugin stuff.
Specifically, I need to enable some users to export a new collection of items
and their bitstreams on a regular basis and ultimately ftp it somewhere. I need
to do some transformation of the metadata. All the elements I need are in METS
I think. I'm using DSpace 1.7.1.
Here are my thoughts and options so far:
1. I'll likely need to use an XSLT crosswalk. In the config, schemalocation is
required. Does DSpace actually look for the xsd? Is it possible to point to a
DTD instead?
2. I could write a separate client app to retrieve the oai METS and referenced
bitstreams over HTTP, but I think I'd prefer to keep as much as possible within
DSpace.  Although, a good tradeoff might be put my crosswalk in DSpace and then
collect everything over HTTP. I don't currently have the REST API installed and
I'm not sure what I would gain from it here, but I guess that would be an
option as well.
3. Ignoring #2, I could use the METS package disseminator with my crosswalk,
but I'm still unclear about exactly what configuration is needed for that. Or,
would I have to create a new packager?
4. If I were to go the route of the package disseminator, could I use Curation
Tasks to enable the user to trigger the dissemination on a specific collection?

Thanks for any suggestions,
Jason
Jason Stirnaman
Biomedical Librarian, Digital Projects
A.R. Dykes Library, University of Kansas Medical Center
jstirna...@kumc.edu
913-588-7319