Hi Jessica,

I've been meaning to look into this and respond, but never found the time.
Since we're thinking about having a 1.8.2 bug-fix version, this would be a
nice bug to squash. And since I just tested it.. it is surely a bug.

I've just created an issue in JIRA.
https://jira.duraspace.org/browse/DS-1121

Basically, its not too hard of a fix. I couldn't find any way to easily
customize your searches, but you can directly edit the code to fix this.

+    static String stripInterspersedDash(String myQuery)
+    {
+        // Remove an interspersed dash
+        if(myQuery.contains(" - ")) {
+            log.info("Removing a dash");
+        return myQuery.replaceAll(" - ", " ");
+    }

So this is a decent fix. I don't know if your support team will be able to
give this a try. But let me know what you think.

Peter Dietz