I solved this problem.

The REST API is using class oracle.jdbc.OracleDriver which is found in
the ojdbc14.jar  This jar was not in my classpath.  I copied it to
$JAVA_HOME/jre/lib/ext and after that, the API works.  Everything is
obvious in retrospect but I am still confused as to why my
dspace-1.8.0 install was working perfectly well with jspui and xmlui,
both happily populating my oracle tables. Clearly, these apps are
using a different db connection mechanism (i.e., db.url found in
dspace.cfg) than the REST API.  Is there a technical reason why the
API couldn't use the same mechanism?

Regards,
Maury Bouchard
Simmons College, GSLIS