Hi everyone
     Shanu and Oscar thank you for your help. But I am still facing the same
problem.
My configuration is
enable = true
autoregister=true
provider_url = ldap://<serverdnsname:389/>
id_field= sAMAccountName
object_context = dc=negst,dc=net
search_context = dc=negst,dc=net
email_filed = mail
surname_field = sn
givenname_field = givenName
phone_field = telephoneNumber

===== Hierarchical LDAP settings =======
search_scope = 2
search.user = cn=<bind-user>,ou=PSA,OU=AIUU,dc=negst,dc=net
search.password= <bind-userpassword>
netid_email_domain = @<emaildomain>

and this is what I have in authentication.cfg file

plugin.sequence.org.dspace.authenticate.AuthenticationMethod = \
    org.dspace.authenticate.PasswordAuthentication, \
    org.dspace.authenticate.LDAPAuthentication

I am using stackable authentication. The PasswordAuthentication is working
because I am able to log in using the username I created during the
installation.

The last dspace log shows

<datetime>44,016 WARN org.dspace.app.webui.servelet.InternalErrorServlet @
:session_id=B8EC2A1DA78C76068AFDB5516957AADD:internal_error:-- URL Was:
http://<serverurl>/jspui/register
Method: POST
Parameters were:
submit: "Register"
email: ""
netid: "LDAPusername"
password: <LDAPuserpassword>
step: "1"

Below is the error I get when I try to register

Internal System Error
The system has experienced an internal error. Please try to do what you were
doing again, and if the problem persists, please contact us so we can fix the
problem.

Do you have any idea what the problem could be? What do you login with (UPN,
domain\sAMAccountName, or just sAMAccountName)? I have tried all. Am I missing
something?

Thanks again. I appreciate your help.