Amjad,

Your development practices are really up to you.  We generally recommend
developers put edited copies into dspace/modules (just cause it allows
you to more easily determine what files you've changed, and manage your
modifications separate from the DSpace codebase).  But, some developers
choose to manage their changes in different ways.

So, you should determine what way works best for you and then use the
appropriate build command to meet your needs.

- Tim