Yes, there should be separate count endpoints for endpoints such as /items and /communities (E.g. /items/count and /communities/count). I'm working on a CMS-based UI for DSpace but haven't had time to revisit the Github-based API; I'm hoping to revisit in the next 4 - 6 weeks when things quieten down and will test these endpoints thoroughly. I will also update the documentation (it is currently missing docs for sort parameters from the various list endpoints).

Cheers

Hayden

On 17/07/12 08:51, Gary Browne wrote:

Hi Peter,

Somehow I missed that reply -- great, that did the trick!

Thanks a lot,

Gary

*From:*Peter Dietz [mailto:pdiet...@gmail.com]
*Sent:* Tuesday, 17 July 2012 12:56 AM
*To:* Gary Browne
*Cc:* dspace-tech Tech
*Subject:* Re: [Dspace-tech] DSpace REST API

Hi Gary,

Regarding fixing your 500 error, see my previous response for how to fix it. Either my catalina.log or dspace.log (I forget which) was saying that I had my database config settings wrong instead of my /dspace/config/dspace.cfg, it was looking for a /devel/dspace/config/dspace.cfg.

Also, I think you are supposed to run create_integration_test_db.sh <https://github.com/hedtek/dspace-rest/blob/master/create_integration_test_db.sh>

======

I did spend a little bit of time trying to build some type of client user interface based off of REST. I couldn't decide if there was a "best" language/framework for doing this easily, so I just started playing with Play! Framework to make some HTTP requests to the API. It was fairly easy to get started, and it has pre-included support for parsing JSON.

A few "bugs" perhaps... ?

The documentation says there is a method to get the count of the number of total collections. https://jspace.atlassian.net/wiki/display/DSPACEAPI/GET_collections_count

However, accessing that endpoint didn't seem to do anything, except for error out that it didn't exist.

http://localhost:8080/rest/collections/count.xml

Same with communities/count.xml

When trying to dig deeper, and get the count number of items in a collection, I also ran into issues.

collections/:id:/items/count.format

just gave me the same data as

collections/:id:/items.format

If anyone has any app they've written to help test the REST API then I'd be interested in it. (I'm thinking more an app the resembles a DSpace user interface, then a Unit test). I started to look at the GSOC 2011 Rest Client, so I suppose that could be something to look at.

Peter Dietz