Hi Irene,

Once a handle is assigned by DSpace, it is never reused (even if the
item is expunged / deleted).

The only slight exception is that if you are using the AIP Backup &
Restore system, DSpace will allow you to *restore* a deleted/expunged
Item and also restore its old Handle (obviously this is not really
'reusing' the handle as much as just pointing it back at the newly
restored item).

https://wiki.duraspace.org/display/DSDOC18/AIP+Backup+and+Restore

- Tim