Hi Sisay,

On Wed, Sep 12, 2012 at 10:36 AM, Webshet, Sisay (ILRI)
<s.webs...@cgiar.org> wrote:
> ·         Is there a possiblity to monitor publication/item downloades

you can use the "new" Solr statistics. It makes it rather easy to do
custom queries like the one you're asking about. I wrote up a short
intro into DSpace Solr here:

http://wiki.duraspace.org/display/DSPACE/Solr

Then there are addons you can use for pretty visualizations of this data:
* [1] Content and Usage Analysis from @mire (commercial), taps into Solr
* [2] DSpace Statistics Addon from Minho University (Apache-licensed),
current versions (including the one for 1.6) make heavy use of SQL,
future version will most likely use Solr

> ·         Is it possible  clicking on the thumbnail to open a file like pdf

Yes, you can configure a filter to create the thumbnails from PDFs.
You have to configure the parameters in dspace.cfg (see "Settings for
Thumbnail Creation" and "Custom settings for PDFFilter" under [3].
Then you have to schedule the "[dspace]/bin/dspace filter-media"
command to run periodicaly (e.g. a cron job) to create the thumbnails
on newly added items. [4] describes how you can show the thumbnails in
item lists.

[1] http://atmire.com/website/?q=modules/cua
[2] https://wiki.duraspace.org/display/DSPACE/StatisticsAddOn
[3]