Hi Peter,

the prototype you linked to was in fact included in DSpace 1.6.
The most recent documentation entries for this feature can be found at:
https://wiki.duraspace.org/display/DSDOC3x/Configuration#Configuration-AuthorityControlSettings

In addition to this, Joonas Kesäniemi and his colleagues from the
University of Helsinki have done recent work on this, presented at the last
Open Repositories conference:
https://www.conftool.net/or2012/index.php?page=browseSessions&presentations=show&mode=list&print=head&form_session=33

As far as I know, these developments are not part of the upcoming DSpace
3.0 release<https://wiki.duraspace.org/display/DSPACE/DSpace+Release+3.0+Notes>.
But on a slight tangent, there is a new feature for Controlled vocabulary
support in XMLUI:
https://jira.duraspace.org/browse/DS-1130

Hope this helps,

Bram