On Tue, Mar 5, 2013 at 8:18 PM, Jose Blanco <blan...@umich.edu> wrote:
> Today in my development environment I tried to delete a collection and got
> this error:
>
> org.postgresql.util.PSQLException: ERROR: update or delete on table "item"
> violates foreign key constraint "$2" on table "communities2item"
> Detail: Key (item_id)=(216864) is still referenced from table
> "communities2item".
>
> I looked at the item table and see that the contstraint is there, but if I
> look at the schema file in in 30, I see no constraint of the sort.  Should I
> get rid of the constraint from the item table?  Is communities2items updated
> every time the browse is update?  How do entries get into communities2item?

Hi Jose,

AFAICT, communities2item is used only in these 2 places:

https://github.com/DSpace/DSpace/blob/dspace-3.1/dspace-api/src/main/java/org/dspace/search/Harvest.java
https://github.com/DSpace/DSpace/blob/dspace-3.1/dspace-api/src/main/java/org/dspace/browse/BrowseEngine.java

So it seems the only thing it's used for is determining which items
have been added/removed/changed within a community, which is
implemented in the following use cases:
* OAI server (only up to DSpace 1.8)
* user's subscription notification
* JSPUI feeds

The table is not created staticaly, i.e. not in database_schema.sql.
The class that seems to fill this table seems to be the BrowseDAO
(e.g. BrowseDAOPostgres). I'm not sure how to forcibly invoke it, but
index-update or index-init would be a safe bet.

Regards,
~~helix84