On Mon, Apr 1, 2013 at 4:21 PM, abhishek.kulkarni <akulk...@hawk.iit.edu> wrote:
> The solution for it as was suggested in one of the blogs was to change the
> dspace dir owner from <username> to 'tomcat'

Please note that it doesn't necessarily have to be literally "tomcat".
It should be the user which runs Tomcat on your system (e.g. it's
tomcat6 on my system).

> I changed the ownership & goofed up with permissions.
> After doing so, sudo was corrupted. (made it working later)

Yes, all the errors from this point have little to do with DSpace
itself. It rather looks like you have various problems caused by
permissions outside the dspace directory. It will probably be the
least amount of work to reinstall the server, install DSpace anew and
use the old assetstore, database dump, configuration files, theme and
any customizations.
Although permission problems can be fixed manually if you know what
you're doing, I recommend the reinstallation as the easy way to assure
that everything works as it should and prevent unexplainable future
problems.

Regards,
~~helix84