Hi Mark,

again, what method of import are you using? There are several. I think all
of them update the Lucene index. IIRC some don't update the Solr index
(obviously, they all should). In order to verify that, you can look at the
dspace log and see a bunch of messages like this for Lucene:

org.dspace.search.DSIndexer @ Writing Item: 123456789/3166 to Index
org.dspace.search.DSIndexer @ Wrote Item: 123456789/3166 to Index

and like this for Discovery:

org.dspace.discovery.SolrServiceImpl @ Wrote Item: 123456789/3166 to Index

Anyway, I'm fairly sure you can't cut down on the time it takes to run
update-discovery-index,
because it only indexes changed items. I think this is also the case
with index-update,
but I'm not sure.

Regards,
~~helix84