Hi Vlastik,

I don't know the answer, either, but I tried to gather some links on that topic:

http://www.imaging.org/IST/store/epub.cfm?abstrid=38878
http://www.dspace.org/index.php?option=com_content&Itemid=11&catid=65&id=377&view=article
http://archive.nlm.nih.gov/pubs/ceb2008/2008016.pdf
http://dspace.2283337.n4.nabble.com/Dspace-tech-Scalability-issues-report-DSpace-Cambridge-td3287701.html

If you don't receive a reply here, try asking Tim or Mark Diggory
directly - they're most likely to know users with large number of
items. Some recent threads (which I can't find right now) mentioned
only large bitstreams (which doesn't seem to be your case).

Regards,
~~helix84