On Fri, May 03, 2013 at 07:11:26PM +0000, Pottinger, Hardy J. wrote:
> Hi, in an effort to share as much information as we have, here's our
> latest thinking on this. However, do note, I'm talking about an
> esoteric/intermittent error that looks just like the much more
> straightforward error that Peter mentions below. It is well worth your
> time to troubleshoot as Peter suggests, because a simple permissions issue
> is easily repaired.
>
> However, the error described by Amy [1] is another thing altogether. In
> troubleshooting it earlier this year, I brought an article [2] to the
> attention of Mark Wood in Indiana as well as a few sysadmins here. After
> reading this article, I realized we actually have a bit of an "oddity" in
> our server setup. The server that hosts our repository runs on RHEL5,
> which is 32-bit, but it has a special PAE kernel, which means it's running
> enough 64-bit Linux to address more RAM. Our sysadmin searched around and
> discovered another article [3], which generically warns of Java issues on
> a PAE kernel. So, our plan at this point is to try testing DSpace on a
> 64-bit machine, using Java 7, and a specifically-tuned installation of
> Tomcat, to make the best utilization of available memory. Last I heard,
> Mark was also planning on migrating to 64-bit machine.

FWIW scholarworks.iupui.edu migrated a week and a half ago to an AMD
Opteron 2356 (64-bit instruction set) on an x86_64 kernel with no
complaints so far.

savage ~ # uname -a
Linux savage 3.7.10-gentoo #1 SMP Tue Mar 12 08:50:14 EDT 2013 x86_64 Quad-Core
AMD Opteron(tm) Processor 2356 AuthenticAMD GNU/Linux

savage linux # java -version
java version "1.6.0_27"
OpenJDK Runtime Environment (IcedTea6 1.12.4) (Gentoo build 1.6.0_27-b27)

Mark H. Wood, Lead System Programmer   mw...@iupui.edu
Machines should not be friendly.  Machines should be obedient.