Hi Daryl,

although I've never personally worked with it, what you're looking for
(for watermarks) is called BrandedPreviewJPEGFilter and it's part of
the Media Filter framework - the same framework that takes care of
extracting text from files for indexing and generating thumbnails.

https://wiki.duraspace.org/display/DSDOC3x/Configuration#Configuration-ConfiguringMediaFilters

I'm not sure what you mean by "fill in the properties (author, title,
subject, keywords) of PDF files". Do you want to put these fields from
DSpace metadata into your PDF bitstreams? Firstly, you should
reconsider if you really want that; people usually want to preserve
their bitstreams and not risk accidentally destroying them. If you're
working on a bitstream, keep the old one for archiving purposes and
create a copy of it to mess with. I don't think there's any tool in
DSpace that can do that, so you would have to write either a media
filter or a curation task. I personally think curation tasks are
easier to write.

Regards,
~~helix84