On Tue, Aug 13, 2013 at 11:33 AM, Evans, Kevin <kevin.ev...@exeter.ac.uk> wrote:
> We are having an issue with dspace and other logs filling up disk space.
>
> Dspace/Tomcat seems to be rotating the logs but we would like to clear these
> down after three months or so.

There are two ways to do this - the Java way (logging.properties) and
the unix way (logrotate). logrotate has plenty of documentation and is
much more flexible, but it's also a bit harder to use because Java
already splits the files which would normally be the job of logrotate.

Here's an example of rotating Java logs:
http://stackoverflow.com/questions/8342336/how-to-set-maximim-number-of-rolls-and-maximum-log-size-for-tomcat

One thing you should be wary of is to keep around told dspace.log
files if you care about access statistics. Should you lose your
generated statistics (old stats, Solr stats or ES stats), they can all
be regenerated from dspace.log files. Of course, the preprocessed
files (using stats-log-converter) take up much less space.

Regards,
~~helix84