On Tue, Aug 20, 2013 at 11:20 AM, Otuoma <otuomathegr...@yahoo.com> wrote:
> I have files like dspace.log.2013-08-20, cocoon.log.2013-08-20 and
> checker.log.2013-08-20 for different dates in [dspace]/log/
> I dont have dspace.log. I have also searched in them for "Caught exception
> in submission step: " and this line is not there. Am working on dspace 3.2.
> Am not there are other log files elsewhere in dspace perhaps?

Yes, it should be in the dspace.log.* files. Here's the source file
relevant to the error line:

> Caused by: javax.servlet.ServletException: java.lang.RuntimeException: Error
> while attempting to create identifier for Item id: 7330
>    at org.dspace.submit.step.CompleteStep.doProcessing(CompleteStep.java:103)

https://github.com/DSpace/DSpace/blob/dspace-3.2/dspace-api/src/main/java/org/dspace/submit/step/CompleteStep.java#L103

Try also searching for "Error while attempting to create handle" which
comes from here:
> Caused by: java.lang.RuntimeException: Error while attempting to create
> identifier for Item id: 7330
>    at
> org.dspace.identifier.VersionedHandleIdentifierProvider.register(VersionedHandleIdentifierProvider.java:117)

https://github.com/DSpace/DSpace/blob/dspace-3.2/dspace-api/src/main/java/org/dspace/identifier/VersionedHandleIdentifierProvider.java#L117

Try running:
tail -f [dspace]/log/dspace.log.2013-08-20

and watching the output as you perform the submission again.

One more log file you can check is the tomcat catalina.*.log file, but
I'm fairly sure this should be in dspace.log.

> By the way I have also set the owner of everything in the [dspace] folder
> including subfolders and files to tomcat6 user because initially it was
> throwing errors at the file upload stage. Am not sure if this is correct as
> well?

 That's correct. It must be the same user as the user who runs tomcat,
otherwise you'll run into permission issues.

Regards,
~~helix84