Please, always CC dspace-tech.

The correct order for Lucene-based search is first "dspace
media-filter", then "dspace index-update".

But I suggest you try the Solr-based Discovery search instead, it's
possible that might work out-of-the-box and it will be the default in
future DSpace versions anyway. Here are steps necessary to enable
Discovery in DSpace 3.x:
https://wiki.duraspace.org/display/DSDOC3x/Discovery#Discovery-EnablingDiscovery

With Discovery, you'll be using "dspace update-discovery-index"
instead of "dspace index-update".

Regards,
~~helix84