On Fri, Sep 13, 2013 at 9:56 PM, Andrew Reid <andrew.r...@nist.gov> wrote:
>   The fact that the authentication succeeds makes me think I'm
> not too far off.  I don't think I've typo'd any of the field
> names on either side.  Is there some subtlety in the permissions
> that I'm missing?  Does this work for other people?

Hi Andrew,

yes, that sounds like a permissions "problem" on the side of your LDAP
server. I'd say that once your user successfully authenticates, he's
not allowed to read his own attributes (name, surname, ...) and thus
DSpace stores null.

Do try to log in using some LDAP client (e.g. ldapsearch or a GUI
client like Apache Directory Studio) using the same user's credentials
and see if you can read the values of his attributes.

>   I'm not doing heirarchical authentication, should I be?

If you can verify that the problem is what I say it is, you can fix it
on the LDAP server side by giving all users permission to read their
attributes (at least those that DSpace needs).

While you could have one special LDAP account that has read
permissions to all the other accounts and use it to retrieve the
attribute values, this is not how the code in DSpace currently works.
Even if you enable hierarchical auth (which you otherwise don't need -
because the authentication itself works for you), DSpace will still
use the actual user's account to retrieve its attributes, not the
search.user account.

Regards,
~~helix84