Dear Miika,

Great, that you have installed DSpace-Cris!

I attempt some answers for you:

Workflows:  Yes, this is possible.  As every university is different, it is
difficult to build a generic system for this.  I suppose that these university
specific processes are a big reason why commercial products for CRIS are
expensive. At HKU there were existing databases used for other purposes, from
which we could harvest.  The biggest part of the DSpace-Cris project on our
side (HKU), was negotiating permission from the several data owners, and then
setting up customized scripts to harvest, clean/verify, augment, and load in
XML to DSpace-Cris.  At your site, you could add-on to DSpace-CRIS for
collection of, and processing of this data, then pre-load to DSpace-CRIS, or
build other databases to do the same.

DSpace Default Publication Form:  We (HKU) mostly do not use this.  Early
experiments asking faculty to deposit themselves were not successful.  It is
better for faculty to input into the HKU database for staff evaluation, from
which we regularly extract and load into DSpace by XML.  We augment this with
data from Scopus, PubMed, WoS, and others.  On the other hand, I have seen
other sites customize the DSpace form, and have different ones for different
functions/types/staff, per your query.

Affiliations:  HKU affiliations are of course controlled by the DSpace-Cris
ResearcherPages (author profiles).  However, we also show non-HKU affiliations
in the DSpace publication items for non-HKU people, when we know them.  This is
possible because we have a relational table for authors, that is separate from
the DSpace publication items, and from the ResearcherPages.  Example,
        http://hub.hku.hk/handle/10722/129470

Controlled Affiliations:  You have made a controlled pick-list of possible
affiliations?  We do not have this.  We just just accept non-HKU affiliations,
as we receive them.  I have heard that ORCID will soon show affiliation, and
that this will be based upon a controlled list from some vendor.

Bibliographic Import:  This of course depends upon the source.  Scopus, PubMed
& WoS have documentation for their APIs and Web Services.  After getting this
data, we use Perl and other tools to manipulate into XML, and then load into
DSpace.

I believe that Andrea will write with further details to you.

Wish you well,

David T Palmer
Associate University Librarian & Digital Strategist
The University of Hong Kong Libraries
10/F Kennedy Town Centre
23 Belcher's Street
Kennedy Town