Hi Keir,
you are right the installation instructions are not so clear as need and
don't include information for upgrading an existent installation.
We will try to update this documentation as soon as possible, please
note that, in these last weeks, much developer resources from my company
has been devolved to the next DSpace 4.0 release so we are slight late
with the dspace-cris upgrade.
1) mvn package from the dspace-src directory is the right way to build
DSpace-CRIS
2) to install dspace-cris on top of an existent dspace installation, you
need to follow the steps required for a normal dspace update (like you
have done) plus execute the following sql scripts:
addon-crismodule.sql, addon-crispubmed.sql, addon-subscription.sql all
located in
https://github.com/CILEA/DSpace/tree/dspace-cris-1.8.2.1-beta/dspace/etc/postgres
These sql will create the extra tables and sequences need by the
DSpace-CRIS entities.
Finally, if you want to start with a preconfigured, very basic,
datamodel you can proceed with the post installation instructions, i.e.
load /etc/postgres/base-configuration-crismodule.sql

Hope this help,
Andrea

--
Andrea Bollini
Dipartimento Servizi e Soluzioni per l'Amministrazione Universitaria

Via dei Tizii, 6
00185 Roma, Italy
tel. +39 06 44 486 087 - mob. +39 348 82 77 525
http://www.cineca.it