On Fri, Nov 15, 2013 at 05:58:27PM +0000, Schuster, David wrote:
> Nessus – is what we are using.  I found an article that if you telnet to 8005
> and type SHUTDOWN – it will stop tomcat, which it did.  I have modified that
> so hopefully that will fix my problem.

Ah, so it's not just a port scan.

Tomcat *should* require a specific token on the SHUTDOWN line, which
is set in server.xml as an attribute of the <server> element:

  <Server port="-1" shutdown="a0cc3595807f8e1f">

It's doubtful that Nessus would guess such a token in a reasonable
amount of time.

http://tomcat.apache.org/tomcat-7.0-doc/config/server.html#Common_Attributes

'port' can be -1 if you are running Tomcat using jsvc or as a Windows
service, which have other ways to gracefully terminate it.  Otherwise
I'd use the usual port 8005 but set the host firewall to block it, so
that the Tomcat shutdown script can use it locally.

I copied a live Tomcat's Server element and replaced the token,
generating it this way:

dd if=/dev/urandom count=1 bs=8 2>/dev/null | od -x

--
Mark H. Wood, Lead System Programmer   mw...@iupui.edu
Machines should not be friendly.  Machines should be obedient.