On Wed, Nov 20, 2013 at 01:45:45PM +0100, helix84 wrote:
> Hi rocky,
>
> there two general approaches; AIP is available only in newer versions of
> DSpace.
>
> a) DB + assetstore + config + theme + customizations
> b) AIP export
>
> I generally recommend the a) option (pg_dump for Postgres backup +
> copy the other mentioned directories on the file-system level).

If you are doing regular system backups, then everything but the
database should be covered already.  If you decide to rely on that,
the simplest thing to do is just to pg_dump the database and leave the
dump in the filesystem, where it would be picked up by your system
backups.

Be sure to properly secure database backups, since they contain user
passwords.  The passwords are hashed, but why make life for the bad
guys any easier than we have to?  AIPs can also contain password
hashes and should likewise be secured.

There's no point in backing up the DBMS' own files (for example
/var/lib/postgresql/9.2/data/base/**) because there is no reason to
believe that a file-wise backup of these is consistent at any point in
time.  pg_dump will do this properly.  The backing-store files
(data/base/**) will consume backup media and time but aren't really
restorable.

--
Mark H. Wood, Lead System Programmer   mw...@iupui.edu
Machines should not be friendly.  Machines should be obedient.