On Mon, Jan 6, 2014 at 3:36 PM, Evgeni Dimitrov <dimitrove....@gmail.com> wrote:
> I can get the file using either one of:

That's correct, you can just leave out the parameters.

> /xmlui/bitstream/handle/123456789/87/p1.jpg?sequence=20001&isAllowed=y
> /xmlui/bitstream/handle/123456789/87/p1.jpg?sequence=20001
> /xmlui/bitstream/handle/123456789/87/p1.jpg
>
> What is the meaning of:
>
> "sequence=20001" and especially of

This is the value of sequence_id from the bitstream table and it's
meaning is the display order of bitstreams within an item.

> "isAllowed=y"

This is another rendering hint that tells the XMLUI theme that the
item is accessible/inaccessible for the current user. The URL is
generated by Java code which knows how to find out this information
and is processed by a XSLT template, which is the presentation layer
and just displays what it's passed.

Both are just information being passed between DSpace layers and are
ignored when you actually access the bitstream. So it's safe to ignore
the parameters.

Regards,
~~helix84