On the now un-supported version 1.7, no less!

I am in a one-year position, replacing someone on career break, and as part of
my job have inherited an instance of DSpace.  Just before he left, my
predecessor wrote an SQL query that was supposed to allow me to generate some
statistics that would be requested of me.  This was the query:

select metadatavalue.item_id, SUBSTR(text_value,0,10) ,community.name from
metadatavalue, communities2item, community  where metadatavalue.item_id =
communities2item.item_id and
communities2item.community_id=community.community_id and metadata_field_id =
'12' and metadatavalue.item_id in (select item_id from item where in_archive =
'1')

The results were exported to an Excel spreadsheet, which I sorted by Collection
name, then by date.  I have used this to report, for example, the number of
items added to a given collection in a given date range.  Now I notice that the
total number of items in a given collection, according to this report, does not
match the total reported in DSpace for that collection, when browsing by Issue
Date.  For the collection in question, the Excel spreadsheet has 244 total
items, while DSpace reports a total of 369.

In contrast, the total number of items in the Excel spreadsheet is 5397, while
browsing all of DSpace by Issue Date reports 2442 items.

Can anyone suggest a tweak to the SQL query that might give me numbers more in
line with what DSpace reports?  Or is browsing by Issue Date not a good way to
see the total number of items in a collection?  I believe the SQL query is
looking at dc.date.available, not dc.date.issued, but I wouldn't expect the
discrepancy in total numbers that I'm seeing.

Thanks for any advice,

Michael Lynch
Digitisation and Open Access Services Archivist
James Hardiman Library
NUI Galway
Tel. 00353 091495961
Digital Collections http://www.library.nuigalway.ie/digitisedarchives/