On Thu, Jan 9, 2014 at 7:34 PM, Shazia Sathar <ssat...@uic.edu> wrote:
> 2) For all other users it would be the default password-based
> authentication.

Hi Shazia,

yes, DSpace uses stackable authentication, so multiple authentication
modules can be used in parallel. Here's what you need for
authentication.cfg:

plugin.sequence.org.dspace.authenticate.AuthenticationMethod = \
        org.dspace.authenticate.ShibAuthentication, \
        org.dspace.authenticate.PasswordAuthentication

Of course, now you should set up authentication-password.cfg (usually
not necessary) and authentication-shibboleth.cfg.

> Is it possible to do this? Any pointers would be appreciated. I have gone
> through the documentation but I am not sure where to start. I have addded
> org.dspace.authenticate.ShibAuthentication to authentication.cfg.

The details for DSpace 1.8.2 and newer are here:

https://wiki.duraspace.org/display/DSDOC4x/Authentication+Plugins#AuthenticationPlugins-ConfiguringShibbolethAuthentication(DSpace1.8.2+)

In the supported setup, you need to run Apache HTTPD as a front-end to
DSpace. You have to install the Shibboleth Service Provider (SP) and
load it as a module to Apache (mod_shib).

Then you have to configure the details of your particular Shibboleth
environment in authentication-shibboleth.cfg.

Regards,
~~helix84