Hi Charlene:

I'm no networking expert, but here are my general thoughts.

1) I imagine accessing a file directly (e.g. /ccn/sitemap.xmap) works,
because it sounds like DSpace is being stored in the DocumentRoot of Apache.
However, since DSpace isn't being served directly by Apache, I don't see why
they would've told you to put it there :S. It could (perhaps even 'should')
be somewhere else, since Tomcat is the only thing that needs to access
DSpace directly. Apache (httpd) should just be acting as a proxy.

2) How is Tomcat configured? Check out Tomcat's server.xml (or the other xml
files you might've created to store your webapp config in). What paths are
used? What port is used? Following standard instructions, I'm guessing port
8080 and /xmlui. If you go to your virtual server's IP address followed by
that port and path (e.g. www.example.com:8080/xmlui), do you see DSpace?

3) Connect Apache (httpd) and Tomcat. I haven't used .htaccess files for a
while (since I've had access to the virtual host configuration) and I tend
to use mod_proxy rather than mod_rewrite, so I'm not much help with that
RewriteRule. Here is a non-DSpace example using mod_proxy though (which is
dead easy): http://tomcat.apache.org/connectors-doc-archive/jk2/proxy.html.

I tend to run Tomcat on 8080 so I would write something like the following
in an Apache vhost running on port 80:

ProxyPass /xmlui  <http://localhost:8080/xmlui> http://localhost:8080/xmlui

ProxyPassReverse /xmlui  <http://localhost:8080/xmlui>
http://localhost:8080/xmlui

If you're running your xmlui as the default webapp in Tomcat, it would be
something like :

ProxyPass / http://localhost:8080/

ProxyPassReverse / http://localhost:8080/

It looks like you're using mod_proxy_ajp, which I've never used but there's
some info here: http://httpd.apache.org/docs/2.2/mod/mod_proxy_ajp.html

Looks like the same thing except using ajp and thus 8009 which appears to be
the port associated with the AJP connector. You might be running into issues
there but I have no idea.

In any case, you should be able to use the above Proxy directives when using
a .htaccess file as well, except that the root (i.e. "/") will be the
directory in which your htaccess file resides (I think).

So, if I understand correctly, the following rule should work provided that
"ccn" is your xmlui webapp. If "ccn" isn't the name that denotes your xmlui
webapp in your Tomcat config, you're probably going to run into trouble.

RewriteRule ^(/.*)$ ajp://localhost:8009/ccn/$1 [P,L]

4) Other thoughts.if you're getting 403 errors.make sure that Tomcat can
read the DSpace directory. You might also want to check the Apache config to
make sure that there isn't an Apache directive that is controlling access to
that directory.

Ultimately, I would just to see if you can access DSpace through Tomcat, and
if so, then try to work out the proxy.

Good luck!

-David