I've received a helpful reply (posted below), which has helped me out
with this problem.

With Regards,

Patrick

On 7/04/2014 8:01 p.m., Patrick Rynhart wrote:

 > Hi Suzuki,
 >
 > Thank you very much for your reply.  I have been running mvn clean
package at [dspace-src]/dspace, not [dspace-src].  I wasn't aware that
there were (pre)compiled DSpace jars in the maven repo.  This has made
the difference.

 > I take your point about it not being a good idea to modify the
source. However, the server I am working on needs to function as an
OAI-PMH server.  We are GMT+13 and are affected by the bug
https://jira.duraspace.org/browse/DS-1445.  We need incremental polling
from a downstream OAI client to work (but this is currently broken due
to this bug).  Although DSpace 4.X ships with an updated OAI server
(which doesn't have this bug), we need to deploy DSpace 3.X because we
are using an extension "Sympectic Repository Tools for DSpace" which
isn't currently available for DSpace 4.X.

 > So, I'm trying to put some debug statements in the relevant source to
see if I can employ a workaround for this problem.

 > Thanks again,
 >
 > Patrick Rynhart
 >
 > On 7/04/2014 6:34 p.m., SUZUKI Keiji wrote:
 > > Hi Patrick,
 > >
 > > Did you run "mvn clean package" at [dspace-src]/dspace?
 > > When you run it at there, original sources at [dspace-src]/dspace-api,
 > > [dspace-src]/dspace-jspui and so on are not compiled, and compiled
 > > jar files are copied from maven repository.
 > >
 > > It is not recommended but if you want to edit any original sources and
 > > use them, you have to run "mvn package" at [dspace-src].
 > >
 > > Regards,
 > > Keiji Suzuki

 > >> I must be missing something here.  Even with a fresh server (i.e. one
 > >> that's never had DSpace installed on it previously), I can't seem to
 > >> customise the source of v3.2 (Stable).
 > >>
 > >> Specifically, all I'm trying for my santity test is in the file:

dspace-3.2-src-release/dspace-api/src/main/java/org/dspace/core/ConfigurationManager.java