On Fri, Apr 04, 2014 at 04:54:31PM -0400, Jose Blanco wrote:
> Do you know why version dspace 4.1 now requires tomcat 7?  Someone
> here told me that solr is doesn't really needed it?  Is it for another
> dspace webapp that needs 7.  I just want to understand the reason for
> 7.  I'm hoping it has to do with solr, because that would explain the
> problem I'm seeing.  Manakin seems to work fine with the tomcat I
> have.

Tomcat 5.5 is no longer maintained, so we can't recommend it.  Tomcat
6 will soon move to the same status, when Tomcat 8 leaves beta.  It
appeared that, well before the next DSpace release, only Tomcat 7
would be supportable.

http://tomcat.apache.org/whichversion.html

Tomcat 5.5 might be troublesome with DSpace 4.1 for other reasons,
since the version of jsp-api that it provides (overriding what DSpace
includes) is 2.0, while dspace-solr and dspace-oai were built against
2.1.

--
Mark H. Wood, Lead System Programmer   mw...@iupui.edu
Machines should not be friendly.  Machines should be obedient.