Hi Keir,

DSpace-CRIS support only 1.8.2 and 3.2, the support for 4.1 is in progress and it is expected soon. A clarification: the DSpace-CRIS is connected to DSpace via maven, infact the DSpace-CRIS module is installed in a customizable version of DSpace for the DSpace-CRIS module, see the branch called dspace-cris-master on github available at https://github.com/Cineca/DSpace contains a early upgrade to DSpace 4 but is not guaranteed. I think you'll find a lot of issues. If you want take a look for a stable version (the current line of development 3.x.x) follow the instruction at
http://cineca.github.io/dspace-cris/installation-stepbystep.html
The technical documentation is here http://cineca.github.io/dspace-cris/doc/technical-documentation.pdf and for your case i think that you can read page 18, the chapter called "Upgrade an existent DSpace installation".
I hope this help.

Let me know.

Best

Andrea