On 23 June 2014 16:07, Brian Freels-Stendel <bfre...@unm.edu> wrote:

> We fixed this problem by adding the UTF-8  requirement to the AJP
> connector in tomcat’s server.xml file, so, in Tomcat 6:
>

> <!-- Define an AJP 1.3 Connector on port 8009 -->
>
>     <Connector port="8009" protocol="AJP/1.3" redirectPort="8443"
>
>                enableLookups="false" URIEncoding="UTF-8" />
>

> Hope it’s that simple for you, as well.

Thanks, Brian. I wish it were. Unfortunately that didn't work, but I'm sure
you're on the right track:

This works:
http://ir.dut.ac.za:8080/xmlui/browse?value=Sch%C3%B6nfeld%2C+Victoria-Leigh&type=author
Browsing by Author "Schönfeld, Victoria-Leigh"

But this does not:
http://ir.dut.ac.za/browse?value=Sch%C3%B6nfeld%2C+Victoria-Leigh&type=author
Browsing by Author "Schönfeld, Victoria-Leigh"

The difference is in using or not using the Apache proxy redirect, so it
seems that my proxy redirect is causing the mischief.

In my server.xml, my 8080 connector is:

    <Connector port="8080" protocol="HTTP/1.1"
               connectionTimeout="20000"
               URIEncoding="UTF-8"
               redirectPort="8443" />

... and my 8009 connector (after updating it according to your
recommendation) is:

    <Connector port="8009" protocol="AJP/1.3" redirectPort="8443"
                       enableLookups="false" URIEncoding="UTF-8" />

... and my /etc/apache2/mods-enabled/proxy.conf contains:

<IfModule mod_proxy.c>
        ProxyRequests Off
        <Proxy *>
                AddDefaultCharset off
                Order deny,allow
                Deny from all
                Allow from all
        </Proxy>
        ProxyPass /cgi-bin !
        ProxyPass /c3 !
        ProxyPass /awstats-icon !
        ProxyPass  /  ajp://localhost:8009/
        ProxyPassReverse  /  ajp://localhost:8009/
        ProxyVia On
</IfModule>

I believe Apache uses UTF-8 by default, but just in case I uncommented the
following line in /etc/apache2/conf.d/charset

AddDefaultCharset UTF-8

I did restart Tomcat and Apache after making the changes.

Any other ideas?

Sean