Hi Massimiliano/Anthony,

I'm just back from some extended leave and have come across your recent
questions to dspace-tech on Embargoes, but I'm not sure that I saw any replies,
so I thought I'd chip in with some comments in case they were helpful (to you
or others). Note, we are using JSPUI so if you're using XMLUI I'm not sure how
much of this is transferable/applicable.

Firstly Anthony asked:
> - Is the lift date of an embargoed item displayed anywhere (either publicly
> or as admin)?

At Stirling, the (initial) required embargo end date is entered alongside the
basic metadata during workflow by our Repository Librarian into
dc.rights.embargoterms (as defined via "embargo.field.terms" in dspace.cfg) -
this value is then used by the system during ingest to set the required embargo
period by using it to set the Start Date of the Anonymous READ permissions for
each of the bitstreams in the Item to this date - so it is obviously possible
to display this metadata field on the Simple Item View page via config as an
indication of the initial embargo end date for all bitstreams . . .

However, this doesn't display the information at the point it is actually
needed/relevant (i.e. alongside the files/bitstreams in the bitstream list),
and it also didn't make sense if the Item has multiple files with different
embargo statuses (e.g. we sometimes have a version of the full text file that
must be embargoed alongside a version that can be made OA, or files with
different embargo end dates - see below to see how I achieved this).

Therefore I added a method to the bitstream class to return the embargo end
date for a bitstream (or null if not embargoed) by looking for the Start Date
for the Anonymous READ Policy for the bitstream, and then I hacked the ItemTag
class (that displays the Item View page) to include this information in the
bitstream list for each bitstream - you can see an example of this in my v4.1
DEV server at: http://dspace4.stir.ac.uk/handle/1893/19594.

I also added this information to the Administrator's "Authorisations" page
(that displays the various Policies for the Item) as another column in the
table for each bitstream (labelled "Period") so that the Admin can easily see
the actual Anonymous READ Policy Start Date (and/or End Date if set) for each
bitstream at a glance - for example see (for the same item as above):
http://www.is.stir.ac.uk/misc/storre/DSpace4.1-Authorisations-Policy-Start-Date.png

Massimiliano asked:
> I?d like to know even if it is possible to change the date of an embargo on an
> item after that it is submitted.

- and -

> We have DSPACE 4.1, I would like to know if it is possible to add embargo
> to an item that is without it.

And Anthony asked:
> Is there a tool available to modify the lift date, say, to extend an embargo
> by 3 months?

This is functionality that we also required here, but I couldn't find a way to
do any of this "out of the box" so I implemented my own solution by adding
fields to display/modify the Policy Start and End dates on the Add New
Policy/Edit Policy screen - example screenshot here:
http://www.is.stir.ac.uk/misc/storre/DSpace4.1-EditPolicy-start-end-dates.png

With these fields I can now easily change the Embargo end date for a bitstream
(by simply editing the Policy Start Date), or add an embargo to an existing
item (by manually adding a Policy Start Date), or have different Embargo
statuses or Embargo End Dates for individual bitstreams of an item (by setting
different Policy Start Dates for each) - as per the example above:
http://dspace4.stir.ac.uk/handle/1893/19594.

What I've done is pretty hacky (and makes assumptions based on our way of
working) so it's probably not good enough to contribute back "as is", but I'd
be more than happy to share what I've done with anyone interested in seeing if
it can be applied in their environment with that caveat.

I think the ability to add/edit Embargo End dates (or Anonymous READ Policy
Start Dates) would be a really useful enhancement to "out of the box" DSpace
(as might the display of Embargo End dates alongside embargoed bitstreams), so
it would be great if this feature could make it into a future version of DSpace
. . . . :-)

I hope this is of interest/use.

Regards,

Mike

Michael White
eLearning Liaison and Development (eLD)
Information Services
S8, Library
University of Stirling
Stirling SCOTLAND
FK9 4LA
Email: michael.wh...@stir.ac.uk
Tel: +44 (0) 1786 466877
Fax: +44 (0) 1786 466880
http://www.stir.ac.uk/is/staff/about/teams/aldt/#eld

The University of Stirling has been ranked in the top 12 of UK universities for
graduate employment*.
94% of our 2012 graduates were in work and/or further study within six months
of graduation.
*The Telegraph
The University of Stirling is a charity registered in Scotland, number SC
011159.