Hi Graham:

We ran into this recently as well -- in our case, it turned out that
sometime late last year LAC decided that they required a <publisher> field
in the etdms output, and while they were harvesting our theses, their
process for generating MARC records for their catalogue silently failed in
the absence of that field (or they ignored the errors).

Note that in Anthony's example, they seem to have hard-coded the
<publisher> output in their XSL; that's the approach that we're probably
going to use as well, just to be expedient.

Dan