From: Andy Kirkyla [mailto:a...@bridgit.com]
Sent: Tuesday, July 29, 2014 6:00 PM
To: dspace-tech@lists.sourceforge.net
Subject: [Dspace-tech] Gmail Authentication

Folks,

      I trust all is well.

      I have been deploying DSpace 4.2 on unix and I am having issues
integrating with our gmail server.

       When I try to create to update a user I get the following error:

javax.mail.AuthenticationFailedException
        at javax.mail.Service.connect(Service.java:306)
        at javax.mail.Service.connect(Service.java:156)
        at javax.mail.Service.connect(Service.java:105)
        at javax.mail.Transport.send0(Transport.java:168)
        at javax.mail.Transport.send(Transport.java:98)
        at org.dspace.core.Email.send(Email.java:359)
        at org.dspace.eperson.AccountManager.sendEmail(AccountManager.java:262)
        at org.dspace.eperson.AccountManager.sendInfo(AccountManager.java:222)
        at
org.dspace.eperson.AccountManager.sendForgotPasswordInfo(AccountManager.java:87)
        at
org.dspace.app.xmlui.aspect.administrative.FlowEPersonUtils.processResetPassword(FlowEPersonUtils.java:234)
        at
        at
        at org.mozilla.javascript.MemberBox.invoke(MemberBox.java:155)
        at
org.mozilla.javascript.NativeJavaMethod.call(NativeJavaMethod.java:243)
        at
org.mozilla.javascript.Interpreter.interpretLoop(Interpreter.java:3237)
        at org.mozilla.javascript.Interpreter.interpret(Interpreter.java:2394)
        at
org.mozilla.javascript.InterpretedFunction.call(InterpretedFunction.java:162)
        at
org.mozilla.javascript.ContextFactory.doTopCall(ContextFactory.java:393)
        at
org.mozilla.javascript.ScriptRuntime.doTopCall(ScriptRuntime.java:2834)
        at
org.mozilla.javascript.InterpretedFunction.call(InterpretedFunction.java:160)
        at org.mozilla.javascript.Context.call(Context.java:538)
        at
org.mozilla.javascript.ScriptableObject.callMethod(ScriptableObject.java:1833)

 at
org.mozilla.javascript.ScriptableObject.callMethod(ScriptableObject.java:1803)

I have made the following changes to my build.properties file:

#######################

# EMAIL CONFIGURATION #

#######################

# SMTP mail server

mail.server = smtp.gmail.com

# SMTP mail server authentication username and password (if required)

# mail.server.username = myusername

# mail.server.password = mypassword

mail.server.username= andy

mail.server.password= XXXXXXX

# SMTP mail server alternate port (defaults to 25)

mail.server.port = 465

I added the Gmail fix suggested on this post
(http://blog.stuartlewis.com/2009/09/05/using-gmail-with-dspace/) to my
dspace.cfg file:

mail.extraproperties = mail.smtp.socketFactory.port=465,\

           mail.smtp.socketFactory.class=javax.net.ssl.SSLSocketFactory,\

           mail.smtp.socketFactory.fallback=false

Is there anything else I need to do.

Thanks as always for your help.

Andy