Also, I realized early on there are many reasons to terminate your SSL with
something other than Tomcat.  We used Apache http for a while, and now I've
switched to nginx.

For reference, here's our nginx vhost config:

https://gist.github.com/alanorth/ddde5e9d6c55b3637513

You'll want the xmlui.force.ssl option as helix84 pointed to, and there are
a few variables in our config that are interpolated from ansible during
deployment of the server... but you get the picture.

Alan