Hi,

After reading several tutorials on how to customize XMLUI, and making some
research about similar experiences, this is what I've understood until now:

In first place, there are two main files where we've to look:
1- ..\themes\dri2xhtml\DIM-Handler.xsl
2- ..\themes\dri2xhtml\structural.xsl

In second place, we've to create/edit a file to override some parameters:
3- ..\themes\Reference\reference.xsl

As you can see, I'm working with the Reference Theme.

According the instructions of Terry, a way to control the visualization of
the Recent Submissions is to create a new view, overriding some xls
templates:

Looking in the file structural.xsl, I only can assume that the piece of
code that we've to copy and edit is this:

    <!-- Next up is the summary view case that at this point applies only
to items, since communities and
        collections do not have two separate views. -->
    <xsl:template match="dri:referenceSet[@type = 'summaryView']"
priority="2">
        <xsl:apply-templates select="dri:head"/>
        <xsl:apply-templates select="*[not(name()='head')]"
mode="summaryView"/>
    </xsl:template>
    <xsl:template match="dri:reference" mode="summaryView">
        <xsl:variable name='METSRIGHTS-enabled'
select="contains(confman:getProperty('plugin.named.org.dspace.content.crosswalk.DisseminationCrosswalk'),
'METSRIGHTS')" />
        <xsl:variable name="externalMetadataURL">
            <xsl:text>cocoon:/</xsl:text>
            <xsl:value-of select="@url"/>
            <!-- If this is an Item, display the METSRIGHTS section, so we
                 know which files have access restrictions.
                 This requires the METSRightsCrosswalk to be enabled! -->
            <xsl:if test="@type='DSpace Item' and $METSRIGHTS-enabled">
                <xsl:text>?rightsMDTypes=METSRIGHTS</xsl:text>
            </xsl:if>
        </xsl:variable>
        <xsl:comment> External Metadata URL: <xsl:value-of
select="$externalMetadataURL"/> </xsl:comment>
        <xsl:apply-templates select="document($externalMetadataURL)"
mode="summaryView"/>
        <xsl:apply-templates />
    </xsl:template>

But I'm not sure. I can't go on beyond with the suggestions of Terry. I
don't yet understand what changes should be made.

By the other hand, I've found this example on the Internet:
http://dspace.2283337.n4.nabble.com/How-to-customize-DSpace-3-0-XMLUI-Discovery-Recent-Submissions-display-td4661051.html

According to Helix, we've to modify the xsl file from our theme
(reference.xsl) and override a template:
<xsl:template match="dim:dim" mode="itemSummaryList-DIM">

Is this approach an alternative to make the changes that I'm looking for?

Thanks for your help!!

Bender