Hi,

The log files you sent show a large number of database errors (at the
beginning of the log) which look like this:

org.postgresql.util.PSQLException: Connection refused. Check that the
hostname and port are correct and that the postmaster is accepting
TCP/IP connections.

This seems to imply that your DSpace instance cannot connect with the
database at all, which could cause all sorts of problems.

Do either of these commands return errors (either in the results or in
the log)?

This tests the database connection:
[dspace]/bin/dspace database test

This provides info on the database contents:
[dspace]/bin/dspace database info

As for your questions, when restoring a database, you will need to
recreate the database and possibly the 'dspace' database user (if it
doesn't exist yet). Those are both needed prior to restoring the database.

- Tim