I answered my own question -  and just in case anybody is interested

The database upgrade in
sqlmigration/oracle/V5.0_2014.09.26__DS-1582_Metadata_For_All_Objects.sql
had not fully executed so that properties formerly stored in various table
(bitstream, groups, ..) had not been moved into the metadatavalues tables.

Once I ran the relevant sql commands life started to improve

Monika

Monika Mevenkamp
phone: 609-258-4161
Lewis Library,Washington Road and Ivy Lane, Princeton University, Princeton, NJ
08544