I run [dspace]/bin/dspace index-update nightly  in DSPACE 1.8 (with JSPUI)

Even though there are some cases in which browse fails to find items.

For example a search for the author ‘japanwala’ in the
<http://dataspace.princeton.edu/jspui/handle/88435/dsp01gx41mh91n/simple-search?query=japanwala>
 creative writing
collection<http://dataspace.princeton.edu/jspui/handle/88435/dsp01gx41mh91n>
yields no results - although there is an item by this
author<http://dataspace.princeton.edu/jspui/handle/88435/dsp012v23vt54g> that
belongs to the English collection and is mapped to the  creative writing
collection<http://dataspace.princeton.edu/jspui/handle/88435/dsp01gx41mh91n>.
At first I thought that this is due to the item belonging to two collections,
but there are others where searching works in both the owning collection as
well as in the mapped collection, e.g. when browsing for Abigail Bowman in
Creative
Writing<http://dataspace.princeton.edu/jspui/handle/88435/dsp01gx41mh91n/simple-search?query=Bowman,+Abigail>.

How can I fix this issue ?
Should I completely rebuild the index ?
If so is it really necessary to take the site offline / stop tomcat ? While the
index is being rebuild searching will fail - but does break the system ?

Monika

Monika Mevenkamp
phone: 609-258-4161
Princeton University, Princeton, NJ 08544