Hi All,

Has anyone stored nested / rich metadata in DSpace?

An example I'm thinking of is for storing richer amounts of metadata for an
object. For example:

   - Author
      - first-name: Peter
      - last-name: Dietz
      - name-as-it-appears: Peter Dietz
      - institution: Longsight
      - date-of-birth: ...
      - ...
   - Author
      - first-name: Sam
      - last-name: Ottenhoff
      - ...

The Authority Control system of DSpace looks like it approaches this, but
the documentation isn't clear, and I'm not sure if it requires that your
data values reside in some Library of Congress registry.

The hack-job I have in mind would be to serialize the information... to
json... and then store that into a metadata field.

So.
schema.author.serialized = {first-name: "Peter", last-name: "Dietz",
"name-as-it-appears" : "Peter Dietz", "institution": "Longsight", ... }

However, I'm tempted to think that DSpace should either have the ability to
plug into any registry (hopefully there are registries you can populate and
maintain with your own local data), or to extend DSpace's metadata data
model to support nested/rich data.

Thoughts?