Hello Andrea,

yes this is right. If you enable the identifier service this will only
cover new items.
Assuming you are using the DataCite Connector,  the easiest way would be
to manipulate the database (usual warnings about that) to give the old
items the status of newly items in archive:
INSERT into doi (doi_id, doi, resource_type_id, resource_id, status)
SELECT nextval('doi_seq'),

concat('YOURPREFIX/YOURNAMESPACESEPARATOR-',currval('doi_seq')), 2, item_id, 7
FROM item
WHERE in_archive=true and item_id not in (select resource_id from doi where
resource_type_id=2);

Then the cron job for the usual doi-organiser commands will pick up the job.

I've just been investigating the use of doi's for us. There are a couple of
issues with it, especially the datacite connector crosswalk and data provider,
see the latest JIRA issues.
At the moment with datacite the update of metadata does not work among other
things.

Hope this helps

Claudia