Manos Darkadakis wrote:

> Hello Mark and thanks for the info.
> I know of such links, as a matter of fact we are going to use one in
> 5 GHz to have internet available at the D-Star site on top of a 3500
> ft mountain here in Athens. The other end will be at our headquarters
> where the computer with CentOs 5.1 is waiting for the G2 software to
> arrive.
> But as I have been informed these solutions are not a direct
> replacement for Icom's 10 GHz links as the protocol they use, is not
> open. So people is rathe expanding their intranet, behind their
> intenet router, where all different sites meet together and with the
> Internet. This is some sort of solution but it isn't really what Icom
> calls "Zone", I think
>
> Finally on the CEPT matter, US Hams are accepted in Greece under
> CEPT. Where did you get the info that they are not? Others have come
> and worked without problems. Please see our official site:
>
> http://www.raag.org/licensing_en.html
> <http://www.raag.org/licensing_en.html>
> and call me if you come again and need help or just having an eyeball
>
> We have the first Greek D-Star system active and is covering Spetses
> as well, look here: http://www.raag.org/D-star_en.htm
> <http://www.raag.org/D-star_en.htm>
>
> 73 Manos SV1IW

Manos,

What Mark's trying to say is that the cost of another controller, PC,
and another pair of inexpensive unlicensed microwave links over TCP/IP
is often less than half the price of the Icom 10 GHz links... making the
product not very useful to any of us who have the skills to set up a
successful microwave shot.

With Icom's pricing here in the U.S. running close to $10,000 for the 10
GHz link, it's very easy to engineer a solution that's less than half of
that and use two callsigns, two gateways, two controllers and have
virtually the same functionality.

Nate WY0X