On Jun 4, 2008, at 7:27 PM, Randy wrote:

> Thanks for all of the replies! Unfortunately, with D-Star there are
> not a whole lot of choices for people to "spin the knob" to something
> else if they don't hear something that interests them.

6 Reflectors, A, B, C on each, I believe... means 18 reflector
"channels" right now.  I think.

Some of those being in other countries means they're probably not as
suitable for day to day use from the U.S., but Internet connectivity
world-wide is pretty amazing these days...

I definitely didn't mean to discourage you from asking about using A
or B on REF001 -- what's really needed right now, is a "one-stop"
official reflector list webpage with "recommended" usage from the
owner/operators, and Robin.

> Of course,
> having D-Star radios makes someone want to use them, not turn them
> off.

As mentioned in other mail, you probably could just give more folks
control of the linkng locally...?  Hold a "control operators" class at
your house or something, explain the commands, show 'em how to do it,
practice a bit, have some BBQ and a beer.

> Right now, our 2m repeater is the only one that has decent
> citywide coverage. Our mountaintop location misses a few parts of the
> city. Our 440 machine is not as good as 2m right now. That is why we
> are putting another full stack downtown Tucson in the near future to
> fill in the holes. We may end up moving the reflector audio over to
> our "B" module or possible not link up at all.

Seems reasonable... ours is the opposite right now.  B works great, C
is on a borrowed antenna until we move sites, A  and the DD module
aren't on the air at all, yet... but they're powered on and have dummy
loads connected to them.  (I guess you could use them if you were
parked outside the door of the site... and had an ID-1... GRIN)

--
Nate Duehr, WY0X
[EMAIL PROTECTED]