In my area there are 3-4 D-Star systems, some UHF only and some VHF/UHF, think
one with 1.2 G.  None, none of these systems are workable with an HT from my
QTH.  I require a 5 ele beam up 15 ft to think about hitting them.  Couple can
be worked from a mobile with mobile, not HT, rig.

I think anyone thinking one puts up a D-Star system and then says what HTs can
work it is what they shoot for and be finished I believe they are selling their
system short.  25 watts is good level, repeater and user, but adding equipment
to get to the mobiles out 30+ miles is as important as doing with analog.

I have yet to see test with D-Star in mobile flutter situations.  Normally
digital with its slow recovery times really chops the signal.  I also see this
with distant repeaters from base due to propagation changing.  It totally
crashes the signal where analog gives some means of recovery.  Most all is
point-to-point stationary stations and D-Star definitely shines over analog.

I do think digital and D-Star are the coming thing, but we have barely
scratched the surface.  Our local EDACS system refuses to use digital for a
number of reasons.  One is cost of radios, 50% more, but from their test it did
not do as well mobile/HT use fro good voice comm.  Cel phones use it primarily
for muplexing more on one carrier.

Time will tell.

73, ron, n9ee/r

Ron Wright, N9EE
727-376-6575
MICRO COMPUTER CONCEPTS
Owner 146.64 repeater Tampa Bay, FL
No tone, all are welcome.

[ED - Can we move on?  Some will add to their repeaters, some will not, each
installation has its own requirements.]