>From: Nate Duehr <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
>Date: 2008/06/18 Wed PM 03:01:28 EDT
>To: dstar_digital@yahoogroups.com
>Subject: Re: {Disarmed} [dstar_digital] First few key-ups garbled on Dstar
>Repeater
>

>Cool or not cool, power needs to be clean for analog OR digital
>systems... a temporary sanity check could include running off a battery
>system for a day and seeing if the system behaves better.

Not exactly true although all power should be clean.  Digital can tolorate less
than ideal power.  This is one advantage of digital.  In RF, which is analog,
need clean power, but again is often not critical.  It don't take much dirty
power to show in anolog.

>> I have also taken percussions with shielded CAT5 cable between the
>> controller and Modules. I do swear by that!
>
>Are you saying there aren't any RF by-pass capacitors on the serial
>lines between the repeaters and the controller?  What is seen when the
>serial cables get "hit" with RF?

In a repeater one takes stive to keep any RF from floating around.  Good shield
cables is a start, but if you got RF on your rcv or digital stuff you are toast
from the beginning.  Solve these problems at the source, not the load.

>> Going as far as hard-line for the antenna and flex cable between
>> everything else.
>
>That's just a given.  Properly built repeaters use quality cabling,
>always.  Otherwise you're in for desense and other problems that won't
>ever go away.
>
>> As far as I can tell, having a Digital Repeater system is MUCH different
>> than an Analog Repeater system.
>
>The basics are still the same.  The receiver must not hear the
>transmitter or other transmitters at the site...  the way to do that is
>well-documented and discussed by analog repeater builders all the time
>at http://www.repeater-builder.com

The RF part is still the same Physics.  Analog or Digital one is transferring
information with RF.  Just the digital can tolorate more noise and degradation
where in analog all thing are heard, good and bad.

73, ron, n9ee/r

Ron Wright, N9EE
727-376-6575
MICRO COMPUTER CONCEPTS