Ed WA4YIH wrote:

> Since its inception, the "Internet" has never gone down.
> There are places where access has been unavailable, but
> the Internet has never gone down.  Except for the last mile,
> most Internet connections are highly redundant. In the middle
> of Katrina, in the middle of the biggest California Earthquakes,
> the Internet has been available.
(snip)

Well worked, Ed.

As we're building out a few D-STAR systems ...
we're making sure that they are designed to be as reliable
as possible - including the gateways and network connection.

In what I've drawn up so far - one of the weakest points
in our whole configuration is the D-STAR repeater controller
itself!  Its easy to configure redundancy in that last mile
network connection ... and setup a reliable gateway including
maybe even a backup system.  We can sustain the failure of
a band module - which would leave other modules available.
But if we lose the controller itself ... ugh!

(Sorry if this thread is getting a bit off-topic ...)

Bob W1QA

[Assistant Moderator - This is on topic.]